Hi All

In this discussion, our varying understandings / assumptions about the purposes of mentoring and its definition; and how it fits into our institutional contexts, will be important in influencing our views. I think there are some fundamental issues around how mentoring is set up that can determine its usefulness … in my mind, the ideal situation would be where mentoring arises from a ‘real’ choice (insofar as such a thing is possible) made by someone to seek the mentorship of another – rather than from, say, a course requirement or a managerial practice.  This is not to say that mentoring under the latter conditions could not ‘work’ or be useful … indeed, they may be the only way to get started for some.

Offering (versus requiring?) mentoring for staff; integrating mentoring within a training or CPD programme without it becoming (seen as) to a certain extent/primarily a management tool (and therefore having its integrity undermined!); these seem to be difficult balancing acts, if they can be accomplished at all … And yet, my own experience tells me that involvement in mentoring (from both ‘sides’) is one of the best things about professional life …and yet …

In my original posting I asked about ‘experiences of mentoring’ mainly because I am interested in how people have experienced (thought, felt about, responded to) the process in their professional roles. E.g. how easy was it to find a suitable mentor – or was it possible at all? For me, having some mentoring type relationships has been highly significant and valuable at certain points in my career … and the absence of anyone I felt able to seek advice from has been equally significant at times when I have been in that situation … In stating above that involvement in mentoring has been one of the best things in my professional life, I am aware that most of these ‘mentoring’ experiences have not been from formally constituted mentoring schemes at all, but from informally established (usually fortuitously arrived at) collegial relationships! Is this just common sense? Can mentoring arrangements model such voluntaristic/adventitious relations?

The HEA Business, Management and Accountancy Subject Centre http://www.business.heacademy.ac.uk/  has an interesting section on mentoring in HE contexts – see:

http://www.business.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/support/working/mentor/process

there are some useful, brief notes on the mentoring relationship, process and a code of practice there.

I also discovered that there is a Mentoring and Coaching Research Group at Sheffield Hallam http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/sbf/mentcoach.html but I could find no readily available materials linked from their site.

I’ve had a look at some other materials relating to mentoring and found the following site interesting. It takes a largely commercial-cum-personal-development (and at times ‘therapeutic’) tone which has implications for terminology (e.g. use of ‘client’) but has some content you may want to look at.

http://www.coachingnetwork.org.uk/Default.htm

I reproduce below an extract that may stimulate further thoughts:

That’s enough rambling from me for today!

All the best

John

From The coaching and Mentoring Network website:

“Coaching and mentoring share many similarities so it makes sense to outline the common things coaches and mentors do whether the services are offered in a paid (professional) or unpaid (philanthropic) role.

·       Facilitate the exploration of needs, motivations, desires, skills and thought processes to assist the individual in making real, lasting change.

·       Use questioning techniques to facilitate client's own thought processes in order to identify solutions and actions rather than takes a wholly directive approach

·       Support the client in setting appropriate goals and methods of assessing progress in relation to these goals

·       Observe, listen and ask questions to understand the client's situation

·       Creatively apply tools and techniques which may include one-to-one training, facilitating, counselling & networking.

·       Encourage a commitment to action and the development of lasting personal growth & change.

·       Maintain unconditional positive regard for the client, which means that the coach is at all times supportive and non-judgemental of the client, their views, lifestyle and aspirations.

·       Ensure that clients develop personal competencies and do not develop unhealthy dependencies on the coaching or mentoring relationship.

·       Evaluate the outcomes of the process, using objective measures wherever possible to ensure the relationship is successful and the client is achieving their personal goals.

·       Encourage clients to continually improve competencies and to develop new developmental alliances where necessary to achieve their goals.

·       Work within their area of personal competence.

·       Possess qualifications and experience in the areas that skills-transfer coaching is offered.

·       Manage the relationship to ensure the client receives the appropriate level of service and that programmes are neither too short, nor too long.

Useful definitions

The common thread uniting all types of coaching & mentoring is that these services offer a vehicle for analysis, reflection and action that ultimately enable the client to achieve success in one more areas of their life or work.

Here are some published definitions we particularly like...

Coaching is…

  "a process that enables learning and development to occur and thus performance to improve. To be a successful a Coach requires a knowledge and understanding of process as well as the variety of styles, skills and techniques that are appropriate to the context in which the coaching takes place"

Eric Parsloe, The Manager as Coach and Mentor (1999) page 8. Eric is a respected author and Director of the Oxford School of Coaching and Mentoring

Mentoring is...

  "off-line help by one person to another in making significant transitions in knowledge, work or thinking"

Clutterbuck, D & Megginson, D, Mentoring Executives and Directors (1999) page 3 (available in the bookshop). David Clutterbuck & David Megginson are both directors of The European Mentoring Centre and highly respected authors, academics and consultants in the mentoring arena.

The difference between coaching and mentoring

As can be seen above, there are many similarities between coaching and mentoring! Mentoring, particularly in its traditional sense, enables an individual to follow in the path of an older and wiser colleague who can pass on knowledge, experience and open doors to otherwise out-of-reach opportunities. Coaching on the other hand is not generally performed on the basis that the coach has direct experience of their client’s formal occupational role unless the coaching is specific and skills focused.

Having said this, there are professionals offering their services under the name of mentoring who have no direct experience of their clients' roles and others offering services under the name of coaching who do. So the moral of the story is, it is essential to determine what your needs are and to ensure that the coach or mentor can supply you with the type and level of service you require, whatever that service is called.”

John Hilsdon
Co-ordinator, Learning Development
University of Plymouth
Drake Circus