Mentoring schemes and approaches clearly vary according to context. Our Education Guidance Service operates what could be described as a mentoring system on two levels. (A broader university peer review scheme is being developed, but the two don't really connect.)

a. An induction mentor role with new staff beginning to work in the Education Guidance team. The role supports a detailed academic and professional induction set out in the professional development handbook which we put together as part of our quality framework. The role now has primarily been taken on by the Lead Adviser, who may or may not be the line manager, but is sometimes shared with other members of the team.

b. We have annual peer review based on a one-to-one discussion and interview observation. All advisers participate as peer reviewers, including relatively new staff. This is written up, agreed by both parties and fed into annual review.
Again, the process is laid out in the PD Handbook

This may sound a little formal for a 6 person team who already work very closely together. However, for this very reason, it has been important for us to establish clear and explicit academic and professional principles underpinning our work as a basis for the development and the introduction of new staff.  We have developed a quality assurance/enhancement framework for the Service, and have found professional as well as academic frameworks to be useful in this respect. As we offer pre-entry as well as on-course academic guidance, we have been through the matrix accreditation process. Although the matrix accreditation visit itself was quite superficial, we found the framework for preparation extremely useful across the full range of our work, on-course and pre-entry.

If the purpose of mentoring is staff development, I think for us here the most useful developmental activity is our monthly case study meeting where we all meet and contribute. This also gives us the basis for monitoring patterns in queries arising, interrogating particular complex academic or problems in the application of university regulations, and sharing our individual approaches.

Cal Weatherald

Education Adviser
Sheffield Hallam University Education Guidance Service
Student Services Centre
Floor 5, Owen Building
Sheffield Hallam University
SHEFFIELD