An innocent writes...(at least a virgin on the group).

You have already heard from my colleague Chris Pinder of the practice here in
Hull.  It's the same hotch-potch as most institutions, I guess.  But I'd argue
that each subject area has its own conventions, in referencing as in so many
other ways, and that the function of those of us who seek to promote and
support learners is to bear this cross and deliver the system that the
department wants the client to use.

A cautionary tale: here at Hull, the University's Teaching and Learning
Committee was asked by a colleague to look at referencing.  Apparently there
was no trouble with the first question: all agreed unanimously that the
University should standardise on one system.  The second question produced one
answer, alas with many meanings.  "Which should we use?"  "Our department's."
Nothing further was done.  I don't think anything further could have been
done.

As someone said, the whole business of referencing in academia is good training
for life: in academic life for those who want to go on to post-grad work (not
to forget those who simply want to avoid allegations of plagiarism), and in
non-academic working life because our graduates must be able to cope with
disciplines and systems of greater or lesser rigour.  So if a 'client' comes to
me seeking aid with referencing, the first thing I need to determine is the
student's home department.  Then I must seek to explain that with clarity, and
the thinking behind it, and try to develop and or or reinforce the client's
practised/skilful/whatever use of it.

(I teach that there are 4 principles that matter:
1.   Be honest [+ the meaning of that in academic terms];
2.   Make it possible for your reader to find and check the facts/quotatiions
that you use [+ a concept of judgement in knowing what should be, and what need
not be, referenced to a source];
3.   Use whatever system your Department wants [+ at times mild cynicism];
4.   Be consistent.

I think there is something to be said for the view that if you do all these 4,
you cannot be guilty of plagiarism; and you are at least approaching academic
propriety.)

Another oddity that sometimes annoys me, more often amuses - and on which
members of the LDHEN list may be able to enlighten me: I met a Head of
Derpartment ['Chair'] from Harvard University who had never heard of "the
Harvard system".  When I had finished describing it to him, he said "That
sounds like what we call 'the Social Sciences system'."  His own department
uses footnotes.  (A quick search of OED and the on-line Oxford reference
collection casts no light on the origin of the name 'Harvard system'.)

As has frequently been said, "this one will run and run.

Peter Wilson