Dear all,

I've just had a visit from a student looking for books providing advice on writing up his research. He is taking a Masters by research in History, and his thesis is to be 40-50 thousand words in length. His concerns are not with his research methodology and process, but with writing up.

We have a resource bank here including books related to different aspects of study, available for students to borrow. Topics include academic writing and research. However, the student has identified a gap in our resources. We have material on dissertation writing (up to, say, 20 thousand words), and on thesis writing at MPhil and PhD level, but nothing inbetween.

For the time being, the student has borrowed Rowena Murray's 'Thesis Writing' and will be viewing her video and study pack on the same topic, though this is primarily aimed at MPhil/PhD students.

Can anyone recommend a good book or two? or relevant chapters?

Yours in hope -

Jan
Dr Jan Sellers
Unit for the Enhancement of  Learning and Teaching
University of Kent
Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NQ
01227-827124.

 Dr Jan Sellers
Student Learning Advisory Service
Unit for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching
University of Kent, Canterbury CT2 7NQ
01227-827124