Hi,

I agree with most of the responses about modularisation and would like
to add a few comments from my experience at London Met. Only yesterday
one of my students commented that she preferred the modular system when
compared with the end of year exam model of Poland because it kept her
motivated throughout the year.  But she said it was a lot more
stressful.  Over assessment is endemic and so students are almost
exclusively focussed on completing coursework.  Clearly, from a learning
development perspective, it means a lot more work.  And while it may
help those who intermit rather than drop out, the increased workload
does not help the non-traditional students at LMU to get to grips with
the demands of HE.  It also increases the incidence of plagiarism, we
believe.  Partly because of workload and partly because of Jill's point
about compartmentalisation.  Confusion arises and is intensified because
of inconsistencies across disciplines and different academic literacy
practices.

How realistic is it that in the 11 to 12 weeks of contact time offered
by most modules that students get a good grasp of the subject, and more
importantly, have an idea of where it fits in to their overall degree
course or interests?  From an administrative point of view we find it
difficult to turnaround our marking when we have already started the
next module.  The main consequence of which is that it takes a long time
for students to get feedback on their work.

We run over 2,000 modules in one semester alone, but this choice is an
illusion as it depends on obligatory modules, timetable fit and student
numbers.  The year long modules would definitely be an improvement but
so far not an option here.

Regards,

Julian Ingle
Lecturer in Language and Learning Development
London Metropolitan University