We believe from the fact that the account logs show several 'ypcat', the intruder copied our NIS maps.

The system does indeed not have passwords in /etc/password, and /etc/shadow is not user-accessible.

> 	Also, by "cracked by us" do you mean you are running
> tools like john against your /etc/shadow?

We have a cracking engine running against our password 'file' where 'file' is the NIS passwords list.  I'm not going to divulge in public what technology we use.

> In my experience
> users are uncomfortable with such practices (and in some
> countries this is a grey legal area involving privacy
> issues). A more convenient and easy solution is the
> employment of a tool like pam cracklib to prevent weak
> passwords from ever being set, rather than devoting effort
> into cracking them later and chasing people to change them.

See above.

Martin.

--
  Martin Bly      |      RAL Tier1 Systems Team
  T: +44|0 1235 446981  |  F: +44|0 1235 446626