Colleagues:

It's not too late to submit an abstract for AGU! Deadline is September 7.

We welcome you to submit to V29, a special session that covers
virtually anything related to "crustal geochemistry" to honor Bruce
Watson's receipt of the 2006 Bucher Medal.  More below....

>>V29:
>>Applications of Geochemistry to Understanding the Origin and
>>Evolution of Earth's Crust

>>With ongoing improvements in instrumentation, geoscientists
>>routinely measure - with ever-increasing spatial resolution -
>>vanishingly low element concentrations and miniscule differences in
>>isotope ratios in phases within crustal rocks. These data must then
>>be interpreted in the context of pressure and temperature controls
>>on element distribution among fluid and solid phases, rates of
>>diffusive transport through earth materials at different P-T
>>conditions, and even the disequilibrium chemical processes that may
>>be associated with crystal dissolution and growth. Well-designed
>>experiments not only provide input for geochemical modeling and
>>hypothesis testing but also insights into how natural processes
>>operate. They provide the tools needed to interpret measurements
>>made on natural samples and to understand the geologic processes
>>that produced the end result. This session invites science
>>contributions thematically linked to the innovative and lasting
>>work of Bruce Watson, the 2006 Bucher Medalist, including the
>>transport and distribution of chemical components in crystals,
>>fluids, and melts; geochemical and petrologic studies of rocks and
>>minerals from all levels of the crust; and novel design and
>>application of laboratory experiments in geochemistry.

David A. Wark
Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
1C16 Science Center; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, New York 12180
office: 518-276-2674    fax: 518-276-2012
http://www.rpi.edu/~warkd/wark.html