Dear Helen,

I am astonished to read your recent email saying that museums cannot
find suitable candidates! It seems that on the infrequent occasions that
a job comes up in my field (palaeontology), I find myself up against
people with decades of museum experience, dripping with academic
qualifications, museum and heritage qualifications, AMAs, strong
research and teaching backgrounds, infectious enthusiasm and highly
respected by their peers. How can there possibly be a problem with
recruitment, when there are so many great candidates out there?

I am about to become one of them, facing probable redundancy after 18
months as Assistant Curator, 4 years as Education Officer and 3 years as
Museum Assistant. I have a broad museums background in everything from
documentation and collections care, to display and education. For
example, I am currently spending most of my time repacking old specimens
and tackling a cataloguing backlog, but this morning I taught a GCSE
Biology class. At other times of the year I teach primary, middle and
high schools studying rocks, fossils and skeletons. My PhD research was
done over eight years on my own time, so it didn't compromise the
working of the museum. I have had research published in a high profile
journal, with the museum's address on it, and I am continuously involved
in high profile research projects outside work. Perhaps I am a jack of
all trades and a master of none.

But enough of blowing my own trumpet! The point I am trying to make is
that there are MANY people out there (not just me!) with the experience,
qualifications and skills to be a valuable museum employees. The only
problem I can see with recruitment is that there are fewer jobs
available and more people trying to get them!

Does anyone else agree with me?

Regards to everyone on the list,

Lorna Steel