Hi GEM Members,

If you are in one of the smaller museums in London you may be interested in Sing London - see below.

If so, contact Colette directly.

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">colette hiller
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 3:23 PM
Subject: sing London

Dear  GEM,

I wonder if you may be able to help.  I'm working on a big festival for London called Sing London - which aims to unite the city in shared song for 10 days this summer.  A project synopsis is attached and a few details are outlined below in this email. The festival has many parters and is being marketed by the Mayor's office who will make this their  major summer campaign.

Many large museums are taking part in this...  (V&A; Science Museum; National Gallery; National Portrait Gallery......);

All events are independly hosted but reflect some aspect of that museum. So theTransport Museum will do train songs, The Science Museum will do 'Science of singing'...

We're now keen to involve smaller museums.  Initial conversations with many smaller museums show us that  there is real interest in finding a way to be part of all this.
I wonder if there is someone at GEM who might help us to formulate a list of appropriate (small) museums across London  whom we can speak with.   The Mayor's office will be giving a  lunch launch for Sing London in mid January and we'd like to invite some of these small museums to come along.

Best wishes

Colette

Colette Hiller
Sing London
The Tin, G02, Black Bull Yard
24-28 Hatton Wall
London, EC1N 8JH
0207 430 7921

Idea in a nutshell    Sing London  is the launch of an annual, pan-London  festival  to get  the whole city singing: all kinds of people singing  all kinds of music in all kinds of places.  The aim is to create a sweeping presence,  bringing together a wide  variety of self-hosted events,  under a  single festival banner.

For 10 days this July, there will be over 100  workshops, delivered by a network of arts partners, Local Councils  and retail outlets.   A vast  range of music will be on offer -     Workshop venues span swimming pools to historic buildings to West End Theatres. There will be events in  local parks, community centres and even singing  flashmobs.  But whatever the musical style or venue, all Sing London events are  participatory and  enable people  to sing for themselves.

The festival kicks off with a special commission at the V&A for 5000 participants   singing through the galleries.  It culminates in a massive finale to celebrate the reopening of the Royal Festival Hall.    (see below)

Grand Finale event  at the South Bank Centre   The festival culminates in a giant city sing  for 20,000,  in and around the South Bank Centre.   Lead by celebrities and supported by a raft of choirs,  the finale brings London together in song.      Giant screens  will project the lyrics.   The finale celebrates the South Bank's reopening  after 2 years of closure for refurbishment and is produced by  the South Bank team, lead by Jude Kelly (Creative Director of SBC and Chair of  the Olympic Committee for  Culture and Education).

Sing London's Purpose  Sing London is not  just about singing.  It's about promoting social cohesion in simple, practical ways.   By taking part in something you feel a part of it.   By connecting voices we will connect people.

Sing London Partnerships in Sing London  Support for the project has snowballed.  The Mayor's office is  supporting Sing London  with a  major marketing campaign.   Grops  hosting public singing events  include: :  The Mean Fiddler Group, Science Museum; National Gallery;   West End Theatres, The Roundhouse   V&A., Royal Opera House; The Spitz Club.   Retail outlets such as John Lewis.  The  list of partners is  growing daily and is included in the attached synopsis, .

Reach  Sing London is unique in reaching across age divides and social barriers.   Many of Sing London's partners have large mailing lists.   From the British Museum, the the V& A, ,  we will gain combined access to these lists.  We expect over 60,000 participants throughout the festival  Millions,  through media broadcasts

Media support/ Publicity  Sing London is being marketed through the mayor's office  and will be  a major comaign for next summer.     The festival  is also supported by BBC London and discussions are underway with BBC 2.

 Legacy  SingLondon aims to  become a regular event , building as we move towards the Olympics.     It aims to move to Liverpool in 08 for City of Culture and discussions are underway.