Hi,
      avwmaths processes input from left to right, so for the second
command:

avwmaths++ -test_img -fmean -kernel file kn test_img_mean

will apply fmean processing to -test_img using the default kernel and
_then_ set the kernel to the image kn and then output test_img_mean
(setting the kernel has no effect on the output since there are no
subsequent image processing commands).

for your first command:
avwmaths++ -test_img -kernel file kn -fmean test_img_mean

what type of image is kn? Does avwmaths++ give the same error message
if a different file is used as a kernel? How about different
processing commands (e.g. -fmeanu)?

Matt