Hi Johan,
In short, it depends on what structures you're interested in. If you're
trying to image oritofrontal or frontopolar function, AP may not be a
good idea. AP has the advantage of retaining a symmetric looking brain,
but the distortions are just as bad as with RL.
Unwarping generally helps to aleviate registration problems and to
improve "visual appeal", but bear in mind that it cannot account for
signal build-up in "squashed" areas of the brain. If you're interested
in cerebellum, take a look at both AP and RL encoded images, and see if
the mastoids give you trouble in either direction.
Also, you may want to acquire oblique planes to sort your folding
problem. If you're doing DTI rather than fMRI, you will probably have to
adjust your bvecs accordingly though, so I don't know if angulating your
planes is an option for you.
Cheers,
Johannes