dear Michelle

these Vinayan films are basically realistic melodramas intended for the box
office
they are released commercially and the cast includes major actors in
Malayalam

as you see, he has been at it for long, and in his latest film 'Magic
Island' he had cast
hundreds of dwarves!

regards

Venkiteswaran CS
Director
School of Media Studies
Kakkanad, Kochi
India 682 030

On 1/27/06, Michelle Langford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Venkiteswaran,
>
> These films sound interesting, are they particularly realist films, or
> do these disabled heroes represent something larger, are they
> allegorical perhaps?
>
> And Miriam,
> Iranian filmmaker Majid Majidi sometimes uses disabled characters
> (usually blind), I'm not sure if the actors are actually disabled
> though. Oh, and you might like to check out 'The House is Black' by
> Forough Farrokhzad, which is a poetic doco featuring a leper community.
> They're not 'actors' as such, but the Iranian cinema draws a very fine
> line between actors and non-actors anyway. In any case it's a stunning
> film that anyone interested in film should watch.
>
> Cheers,
> Michelle
>

> Dr Michelle Langford
> Associate Lecturer
> School of Media, Film & Theatre
> The University of New South Wales
> Sydney 2052 Australia
> Room: Webster 311O
> Phone: 02 9385 4489
> On 26/01/2006, at 6:22 PM, venkity wrote:
>
> > <image.tiff>there is a filmmaker from Kerala (India), Vinayan
> > (Malayalam language )
> > who has made many films during the last 5-6 years with the central
> > character as disabled
> >
> > in one film the hero is a hunchback, in another blind, and in the next
> > one the hero and heroine are dumb and deaf
> >
> > if you are interested i will mail the details
> >
> > venkiteswaran

*
*