Dear listsibs,

I am looking for examples from film and/or television of 'conspicuous' understanding between human beings which in some way transcends apparent language differences. I was interested recently to come across several examples of language contact portrayed on film where understanding is achieved despite absolute, or at least apparent, ignorance of the other's language. In several cases subtitles are used ironically to demonstrate to the audience that characters are in fact in gestalt. This happens in Amistad, between Simbe and the McConaughey character; in Love Actually, between Colin Firth's character and his Portuguese housekeeper; briefly also in Lagaan between Aamir Khan and the English commandant's sister. On a slightly different note there's a moment in The Interpreter where a scene of interpretation by Kidman's character breaks down as the African politician she is translating for rises to his feet and breaks unexpectedly into English.

I would be very interested indeed to hear from colleagues of other or similar instances of understanding despite, rather than because of, language.

Carol
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **