From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">julien guillemet
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 11:02 PM
Subject: RE : Bibliography on contemplation

First of all, thanks to the people (at least the 3 of you) who answered.  I did not know all the books you advised me. So, I’m feeling a bit less lonely in my lake of materials.
(But for me the Lumiere Brothers' Arrivee d'un train a La Ciotat does not involve a contemplative attitude at all (even though it’s a still shot) since there is a lot of movement in it, a lot of action, the frame is almost saturated. Also, I think that in its context, this film plays on the spectacular side of the film apparatus, on the spectacle of the cinematic event itself (see the theory of the “attractions” in the early cinema elaborated by Tom Gunning (for instance: GUNNING, Tom, “The cinema of attraction: early film, its spectator and the avant-garde”, in Wide Angle, vol 8, n° 3 & 4, sept 1986, pp. 63-70.) , see also the commentaries of the early watchers who where really afraid when the train comes to a close-up) which for me is the opposite of any contemplative attitude since it involves an aesthetic of visual shock that “snap” the spectator attention “up”, likesay (sorry for the terms but I don’t know how to translate that properly.).

Anyway, 2 points come to mind from your answers:
- it seems that contemplation in the cinema has not been strongly theorised in a large scale by scholars yet (so the field seems open) and that it is more about filmmakers concerns
- it seems that the idea of contemplation or the contemplative attitude generally aims to a kind of transcendence that induce a sort of ecstatic (etym: “out of oneself”) way of seeing the film picture. So, in this aesthetic tradition (the pattern must originate in the religious mystical contemplation), the contemplation of a work of art, of a film, should lead the spectator “beyond” the picture, “beyond” the sensitive world and “beyond“ the self toward something exterior and superior to the world and to the sensitive phenomena. So the contemplative spectator becomes a pure spirit cut from his sensorial activity.

But my idea would be that the contemplation attitude in film doesn’t aim to a transcendental state of mind, but on the contrary helps to reveal to the embodied spectator the primary and essential sensitive immanence of the picture and of the (embodied) self. To contemplate is to feel (the picture, the world, oneself) in a particular but intense way that only leads to strongly feel the sensitive immanence of life itself. The contemplative attitude does not aim to any beyond, to any transcendence but only reveals to the spectator the very sensitive immanence of the picture, the world and the self by proposing a particular kind of affect, the contemplative affect.

Well, I don’t know if I’ve made myself clear on this point (I guess it’s not even clear for me in my own language, so…) but I would like to dispute the traditional aesthetic way of analysing the contemplation phenomenon.
So, if any idea about that comes to you and that you don’t mind wasting time discussing it, don’t hesitate to answer.

Thanks

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
**

Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos questions ! Demandez à ceux qui savent sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses. * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **