Calling all film writers!

A few weeks ago, Saul Symonds, editor of the cinephiliac website Light Sleeper (www.lightsleepercinemag.com), canvassed for interest in a new section he plans to inaugurate dedicated to profiles of film reviewers and writers from around the world.

I copied his email to all the film writers I could think of. I had no responses and neither has he. Now I am truly puzzled by this. Doubtless, were I to contact these individuals singly they would each have their reasons. But irrespective of whether one writes for Saul or not, and however busy one is, this is surely an opportunity to reflect on your reasons for writing about film and perhaps to sound off or elaborate on an issue you feel strongly about. It is also good publicity for individual practices on a website which is gleaning plaudits of its own. Moreover, it would make truly interesting reading. Indeed, the reasons to take part in this inititative seem more compelling (to us) than the reasons not to.

Whilst I have no brief for championing this particular initiative, Saul's idea is similar to an initiative of my own; that of establishing an online critical database mapping the practice of film writing since 1895. Therefore, I am genuinely curious to know why the reticence....

Richard
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **