Sorry to add another follow-up to this thread so soon, but I've just read David Rudrum's excellent "Silent Dialogue: Philosophising with Jan Svankmajer" (in Read & Goodenough _Film as Philosophy_ (2005)) in which Rudrum explores problems with Levinas' idea of the ethical face-to-face (in "The Face to Face - An Irreducible Relation" in _Totality and Infinity_).

This also got me thinking that what is interesting about this topic is not the technicality of the "Close-Up" but the philosophical problem of the "Face". In my experience it is one of the failings of film studies to get overly concerned with supposedly technical aspects of filmmaking (usually to no particularly interesting conclusion) such as the "history" of the CU while ignoring the actual question at hand, i.e. what, exactly, is a face and how does cinema (let's just presume it has agency) interact with this "thing" (I suppose this should also be linked to the the wild-life documentary...).

ds

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.