I would recommend P. Adams Sitney's Visionary Film and Film Culture Reader.  He deals with many filmmakers who use form as a source of meaning.
I am currently working on a book which will cover many of the topics that lace in and around the issue.
and to Dan Shaw..
what's wrong with glib?
did the unpacking of my simple description get hung up somewhere?
Dear me, but I do believe you should stray off the narrative trail from time to time if you wish to explore film/philosophy.  There is after all a realm where the concepts blend quite fruitfully, and which is ignored by the majority of posts on the  list.
dan

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **