The reason you can't get these works on VHS or DVD is principally
because the filmmakers have specified that they may not be shown that
way, but must be seen in their original format of 16mm. Snow recently
reiterated his position on this at the Evolution festival in Leeds. If
you do find copies, they'll be bootlegs!

A lot of this work is available for hire from LUX, or if you contact
them it may be possible to go there and view it,

Nicky Hamlyn.

On 9 May 2006, at 16:09, David Foster wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does anybody know how I might go about obtaining, either temporarily
> or permanently, copies of any films by the following 'experimental'
> filmmakers: Peter Gidal, Michael Snow, Hollis Frampton.
>
> I am pretty sure that none of their work is commercially available,
> but would be very happy to be proved wrong.
>
> Does anybody work within a University that has copies of these films
> that I could arrange to borrow? I'm a student myself, and whilst it's
> straightforward to get hold of practically any book, rare films seem
> to be far more problematic.
>
> How does one go about viewing works such as these?
>
> What do people think about the kind of issues that are raised by the
> lack of availability of works such as these? Would the list agree
> that it engenders in such works an kind of aura of exclusivity? Or
> perhaps a kind of redundance? What is the point of working in
> alternative modes of cinema if the only audiences that are able to
> view the results are probably already well-versed in this alterity?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
>
>  * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply'
> please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To
> leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
> [log in to unmask] For help email:
> [log in to unmask], not the salon. **
*
*