Sukhbir,

I can certainly appreciate that "Films by the likes of Deepa Mehta ( Hollywood/Bollywood ), Gurinder Chadha Bride and Prejudice ), Srnivas Krishna ( Masala ) failed to take off."

However, I am curious to know what the reception of Mehta's other films has been like in India. I understand that she had to reshoot Water because she was prevented from completing a first version due to violent resistance.

Incidentally yesterday I showed Earth to my students, who are mainly Francophone, with a few exchange students from France thrown in, and it was quite successful since the students know almost nothing about India and Pakistan's history. I did not present it as a Bollywood film. What I find so remarkable is their surprise when they realize they share an affinity with these so-called others (many of whom have immigrated to Canada), in that they too historically were subjected to British rule. This certainly piques their interest as they can identify.

Thanks for your thoughtful post, but I couldn't help note that being from a Canadian university seems to place me in a third world position in terms of academic status!

Elaine Pigeon, PhD
Lecturer, Département d’études anglaises
Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128, succersale Centre-ville
Montréal, Qc  H3C 3J7

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **