Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Did anyone mention Jane Campion's The Piano? Obviously a must include!

Elaine - I'm glad someone finally mentioned it! I was beginning to wonder
if I'd missed the first response to the initial query. Though not about a
mute *woman*, my contribution would be Rolf de Heer's The Quiet Room
(1996) in which a 7-year-old girl refuses to speak (on account of her
parents' marital breakdown) but provides the voiceover to the film. I also
find Henry's question about gender very interesting. Seems there's plenty
of examples of non-speaking women (and female children) out there, and not
all of whom are deaf-mutes (just mute), so yes, gender becomes highly
relevant. If you remove deafness from the equation, do we see as many
representations of men who cannot, or will not, speak (who are
silent/silenced in cinema?)

cheers
patricia

*