"Clearly, then, Lynch is psychologically interesting, and cathartic of our
deepest repressed desires and fears.  But is his work interesting
philosophically?  If so, how? "

Dan

About this most dreamlike of films, to quote from Freud " that the
interpretation of dreams may enable us to draw conclusions as to the
structure of our mental apparatus which we have hoped for in vain from
philosophy" on which Cavell in turn comments as follows 'our vain waiting
for philosophy is now to be replaced by the positive work of doing something
else, call it psychoanalysis; and/or that our waiting for philosophy is at
last no longer vain, that philosphy has now been fulfilled in the form of
psychoanalysis.'

Ross

*
*