Dan,

I found the contrast of _Rashomon_ to the Yimou Zhang's 2002 martial arts movie _Hero_ to be thought-provoking. _Rashomon_ contains multiple retellings of the same story from different viewpoints, but never resolves the question of "who's right"; in a sense, each retelling exists separately from all the others. Meanwhile, _Hero_ progresses through the multiple retellings of the story to get closer and closer to the truth of the matter - each subsequent retelling is a challenge to the previous one.

David Smedberg

:From:    Daniel Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
:Subject: theme and variations

:Esteemed colleagues:
:I am looking for examples of films that are structured by the statement of a
:theme followed by variations - ala Kurosawa's Rashomon, or Greenaway's
:Prospero's Books, or Pillow Book - narrative or lyrical, mainstream or fringe.

:Thanks in advance.
:Dan Barnett
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **