 "What Bordwell and Carroll are calling for is a piecemeal discussion of
film that refuses to take a set of assumptions as defining the social
interests of a certain group (the group in this case is professional
academicians)."

Dan

I would say that this is precisely a philosophical call from Bordwell and
Carroll, and ideological for that matter (in the non-pejorative sense). It
might seem trivial to make this response, but I think it is important not to
mistake what philosophy is and also make it a pejorative category, as for
instance is often done with the category 'moral'.

Ross

*
*
Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.