Revised Call For Papers:
Remakes of Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Films

Deadline for abstracts: April 30th, 2006.

This call for papers is a revised version of an earlier call.  We are currently looking for scholarly papers that focus on remade horror, science fiction and fantasy films for possible publication in an upcoming book-length collection.  Papers may come from any academic discipline and may address any number of other issues, but in order to be considered, papers must in some way deal with horror, science fiction or fantasy films that have been remade.

Our initial call for papers elic! ited a response that was very wide and diverse, yet we found a great number of authors interested in writing about remade horror, science fiction and fantasy films.  In order to give our collection a cohesive focus, we have decided to issue this revised and restricted call.

The inspiration for this collection comes from our hunch that film remakes offer the opportunity to revisit important issues, stories, themes and topics in a manner that speaks to contemporary audiences.
Like mythic stories that are told again and again in differing ways, film remakes offe! r updated perspectives on timeless ideas.  While some remakes succeed and others fail aesthetically, they always, nonetheless, say something about the culture in which, and for which, they are produced.

What compels a film maker to remake a classic film?  What distinguishes a successful remake from an unsuccessful remake?  Are there any particular themes that are especially timeless, and thus subject to being integrated into a remake?  Why is it so common for American film makers to remake successful foreign films? When is a remake better than the original?  These are just a few of the sorts of questions that we are interested in exploring.

This collection will be edited by John Marmysz (Department of Philosophy, College of Marin) and Scott
Lukas (Department of Anthropology, L
ake Tahoe Community College).  500 word abstracts from any academic perspective may be sent by email or ground mail.

By email, send abstracts to:

By ground mail send abstracts to:

Dr. John Marmysz
Department of Philosophy
College of Marin
835 College Avenue
Kentfield, CA 94904
* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. **