Thinking about Patricia's observation about Benny's Video in connection  with
this strand, both the girl in Benny's Video and Majid in Hidden stand for
the Other, that which is erased, whether by the murderer or by the domainant
culture, in Hidden's case mainstream France. The agricultural methods of
erasure, stun gun, sharp knife, suggests the dehumanization of the Other.  Concerned
across a range of films with the attrition of European social  relations and
cultures, Haneke chooses weapons that turn the victim into a  thing.

I take the point that the knife does not have to be a culturally  specific
way of death. Aside from the peculiarly awful suddenness of  Majid death, as
Patricia has stressed, the film makes you wish you could  have got to know Majid
better. Still, I suppose by exposing the vacuity of the  Laurents, Haneke has
made his point.
Richard

*
*