glen norton wrote:

What is boredom except the grip of empty
> time? What if film allowed us to experience time as somehow "empty"?

i'd be careful to separate a 'state' of boredom from a cultural text
that is judged to be boring.

Paul Corrigan's work entitled "Doing Nothing" is a brief glimpse of the
rituals practised by young people in the east side of London circa late
1960s early 1970s to create fun and interesting things to do from a
position of relatively little material wealth. He argues that
the 'street' is pregnant with potential for things to happen. The
assessment that someone is 'bored' is an expression, not of empty time,
but of the first stage of potentialising a particular facet of
the 'street'. The rituals of 'boredom' are social mechanisms for the
production of interest. 'Interest' here is meant in the affective sense
of Thompkins, ie 'interest-excitement', there is probably a more
complex configuration of affects at play including 'distress', 'anger'
and so on. To potentialise the immediate 'street' environment means to
accelerate in one's body the manifestation of 'interest' with one's
peers along the continuum of interest-excitement. Having a laugh and
smashing bottles or having a fight is the result. The signalling
of 'boredom' is a trigger ritual. The threat of 'empty time' never
actually actualises. At the very minimum discussion of one's boredom is
in effect the 'nothing' that is being done.

the space of the cinema (here I mean the actual cinema as viewing
space, not some abstract entity) could also be a space similar to
the 'street' of Corrigan's "smash street kids".

My point is that 'boredom' has its own positivity that needs to be
addressed. the issue is not whether a given text manifests affects of
interest-excitement or whatever, but for who and in what cultural
contexts. So rather than a 'politics of taste' there is a 'politics of
interest'. being told a text is "good for us" makes a number of
assumptions about "us", but it is also an expression what the person
making the suggestion is interested in. Such interest based politics
are evident in cultural formations that use highly esoteric or
technical languages to express subjective formations of interest, or
even in those situation involving people who do not express interest
through discourse at all.

when I have been bored in the cinema, it is when I have found my mind
wondering. that is, I have been more interested in my own thoughts than
whatever movie I was watching. quitting smoking has made this a less
frequent experience.

Ciao,
glen. (but a different one)

--