two things:  first of all, technically the cut from the bone to the space
ship is not a jump cut but a graphic match . . . strictly speaking a
jump cut occurs only WITHIN a diegetic space, not between spaces

second:  but some may argue that i'm being too pedantic above, and that
the concept of "jump cut" has extensions and implications . . . perhaps .
. . but
if that's the case for "jump cut"  it is, a fortiori, the case for
"intellectual
montage" . . . i've never been quite sure what eisenstein meant by that
term, but certainly since his introduction of it it's come to be used in
an enormous variety of ways . . . to the extent that the kubrick match-cut
invites us to see the space ship as simply another tool created by humans
as instruments of domination, it certainly IS suggesting a meaning absent
from either shot -- and as such satisfies one requirement for the use of
the
term, though i think this is NOT what old sergei had in mind

mike

angelo lara <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>
02/21/2006 01:17 AM
Please respond to
Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Intellectual Montage in Modern Cinema

Is that an intellectual montage? I would think that is only a jump-cut..

my understanding of the Intellectual Montage is that the combination and
collision of scenes or imagery combine to unveil or create an idea or
message which is not present in any of the individual  scenes.

-gelo

>From: "Shaw, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Intellectual Montage in Modern Cinema
>Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:10:09 -0500
>
>My favorite is the cut from the bone thrown up to the space ship in free
>fall early on in 2001 A Space Odyssey.  the two things resemble one
another
>and are both human tools...the first juxtaposed with the most recent and
>sophisticated (in 1968).  There are other prominent examples in Kubrick's

>oeuvre...
>
>"For beauty is the beginning of terror we are still able to bear, and why

>we love it so is because it so serenely disdains to destroy us"  Rilke's
>First Duino Elegy
>
>Daniel Shaw
>Professor of Philosophy and Film
>Lock Haven University
>Managing Editor, Film and Philosophy
>website: www.lhup.edu/dshaw
>

>________________________________
>

>*
>*
>Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
>After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you
are
>replying to.
>To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to:
>For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
>**

*
*