Dear Colleagues,

I am convening the political theory section of the ECPR conference in Pisa, 6-8 September 2007.  (Caroline Williams was to have co-convened but has withdrawn as she’ll be taking maternity leave next year.)  THIS EMAIL IS THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS.   Panels and individual papers should be proposed to me; from them I will put together a ‘theory section’ proposal for submission to ECPR.   (This is a change from previous practice: ECPR has changed some arrangements.)  In the past few years theory has been well represented and it would be good if we could maintain this strong showing and bid for the maximum number of panels allowed per section (now 10).   Proposals from across the range of theory are welcome, and there are no rules regarding ECPR membership for panel chairs or paper givers.

The details and relevant forms (as requested below) are now available at: http://www.essex.ac.uk/ecpr/events/generalconference/pisa/.  Please note that the deadline for proposals to reach me is earlier than the general ECPR deadline given on the forms.

If you wish to proposal a panel

Panels should have a chair, a discussant, and up to 3 paper givers.  If there is real demand, panels may have four papers.  Conversely panel chairs should also let me know whether or not they will accept tabled papers.  The chair must complete form GC2, each paper-giver and discussant must complete form GC3, and the chair should send me one postal package or email attachment (.doc or .rtf formats) containing ALL these completed forms by 22 January 2007.

If you wish to propose a paper

Please complete form GC3 and email it to me (in .doc or .rtf) by 22 January 2007.

What then?

Should there be an embarrassment of riches it may happen that not all offerings can be included in the section proposal submitted to ECPR.  I will contact each proposer by 12 February 2007 to confirm whether or not your proposal has found its way into the section proposal.  If not, you’ll then have until 1 March 2007 to submit it directly to ECPR for inclusion in the ‘open’ section.  (There is also a section on ‘the Crisis of Representation’ that is separate from the theory section but may be of interest to some of you – see the website for details.)

Queries about the section’s activities in Pisa should be addressed to me (as section convenor), queries about the theory section in general should be addressed to its chair, Prof Terrell Carver ([log in to unmask]), and queries about conference funding and other administrative issues should be addressed to the ECPR secretariat (www.ecprnet.org for contact and other details).

Best wishes,

Lynn

Lynn Dobson
Politics