From: elearning projects group: museums and galleries, libraries and archives <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu Jul 27 10:39:17 2006
Subject: Re: Image Banks for Schools - NOF Digitise

Claire and all,

Have you read the terms and conditions on the enrichuk site?

These Ts&Cs are a nightmare for teachers.

And what happens after Dec 2007? If I was a teacher and gathered together a
range of images from this site that are particularly suitable to help
teaching/learning of a certain topic, and constructed teaching materials
around them, then in 17 months time all that work will have gone to waste
because I will no longer be licenced to use the materials.

If the MLA sector really want to gain a role in education, before schools
find ways of getting what they need, while ignoring the offerings of MLA
organisations, then some serious work needs to happen soon - to understand
educational needs and to develop business models that can service that need,
while still fulfilling the needs of the public-service, cost-recovery and
profit-making business models of MLA sector organisations.

I was involved in a major piece of work looking at all these issues over a
year ago, and despite that piece of work having been circulated to key
people and discussed, I regret to say I see nothing happening in the MLA
sector which is going to have a serious impact in helping schools find what
they need.

Regards

Roger.

Roger Broadie,
Director,
Broadie Associates Ltd.

99 High Street, Chatteris,
Cambs, PE16 6NP, UK.

tel: +44 1 354 695583
mobile: +44 7710 328672
fax: +44 1 354 696647

on 7/27/06 9:33, Claire Hudson at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> The NOF Digitise programme invested £30 million in digitising material from
> museums, libraries and archives, on the understanding that this would be
> available for re-use by anyone, for non-commercial use.  All the projects can
> be accessed at www.enrichuk.net
>
> Our own NOF project, www.peopleplayuk.org.uk has had great feedback from
> education users who appreciate not only the images but the stories which
> accompany them.  Teachers sometimes make unexpected use of images.  For
> example, a special needs teacher used photographs of theatrical performances
> on the site to role play social situations with autistic children.

Unless stated otherwise the information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential.   If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.   It is intended solely for the addressee.   Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email and any attachments from the system.