Hi Emma,

If it’s your institution that runs the IELTS or the Cambridge test then I would assume that it is down to your institution to help the student to prepare for the test and that might mean to provide a person as a Non medical helper if that is what they need.  We’re fortunate enough here to have a small disability fund, so that we can support students who are on non-funded courses like this.  I very much doubt the LEA would pay for this.

However, if the course or qualification they need is taught/carried out by another institution then I would suggest that it is up to that institution to provide the support for the student.  It might be a pre-requisite qualification but in most institutions so are A levels and we don’t provide support for students to gain those.

Kind regards

Pauline McInnes

Disability Co-ordinator

Student Services