Hi Martin,

In my experience I have known fellow Diabetics who have appeared drunk
when in fact they are experiencing a hypoglycaemic attack (low blood
sugar). In one case it led to an arrest as police believed that the
individual was drunk but was thankfully released without charge once he
had had some glucose and recovered!

For a Diabetic in this situation they may not just become lethargic and
pass out, however, they can in fact become very aggressive and show a
high level of strength in resisting any kind of restraint (even with low
blood sugar).

Although someone with Diabetes is responsible for the control of their
condition this is not always possible. Staff could check for a medic
alert bracelet or pendant that someone MAY be wearing (this can be worn
by people with other medical conditions as well) the symbol may be an
SOS or a rod intertwined by two snakes (medic alert have a website
www.medicalert.org.uk for a description). A diabetic may (but not
always, depending upon the way they administer Insulin and assuming they
are a type 1 Diabetic) be carrying a Novopen. As the name suggests it is
a pen like device to administer insulin. If you want to see what it
actually looks like take a look at the website www.novonordisk.com

As for visual signs, as well as well as appearing drunk they may be
shaking, sweating severely or having problems focussing although it
should NOT be taken that these signs will always be there. Individual
Diabetics can react and show symptoms of hypoglycaemic attack in
different ways.   Diabetes UK has a website www.diabetes.org.uk for
further information.

With regards to appropriate action to take if it is determined that
someone is a Diabetic you really ought to check to see what internal
policies you may have, but if someone is Diabetic and is behaving in
this way it is highly likely that they will be having a Hypoglycaemic
attack (assuming they are not actually drunk!). They could become
unconscious and so calling an ambulance should be seriously considered.

I know I have only touched on one type of disability here but I hope
this helps in some way.

Regards

Phil Tull