We're having discussions about this at Oxford at the moment where a number
of students are emerging with requests for 100% extra time for 3 hour
exams (standard for many courses here).

Often these are from students who have studies in North American
Universities where shorter exams are the norm.  We are having to take into
account the fatigue element and are in the unfortunate position
logistically where students being able to take one exam per day is not
always possible.

I don't have a quick answer. More often than not 10 or 15 minutes extra
per hour is awarded except for exceptional circumstances. As such weight
is given to exams at Oxford, where coursework is not used to the extent it
is used in assessment at other places I have worked, you may need to bear
this in mind when considering our approach.

Hope that helps,

Pete Quinn

p.s. Visit http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/ps/gp/current/http081.shtml if you
want to come and join the Disability team at Oxford. Closing date this
Friday!

==============================
Peter Quinn
Senior Disability Officer
University of Oxford

T.   +44 01865 289840
F.   +44 01865 289830
E.    [log in to unmask]
W.   www.admin.ox.ac.uk/eop/
Post: Diversity and Equal Opportunities Unit, University Offices,
Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD
In person: 5 Worcester Street Oxford [2nd floor] level access to main
entrance with lift access to second floor
==============================

"Lewis, Rebecca" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff."
18/01/06 11:30
Please respond to
"Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff."

cc

Subject
Exam requirements

Hello

I?ve got a question about student?s exam requirements ? extra time,
separate room etc.

Most DSA assessments don?t specify how much extra time should be allowed
for the student ? they leave it to the individual university policy. What
is your policy on extra time? How would you decide whether a student
receives 25% extra or more? Do you rely on what the student says they have
had previously? One student was had been given 100% extra time in the past
? which might mean them being in an exam for 6 hours ? we would not
recommend this. I?m interested to know how other people manage this.

Thanks
Rebecca

Rebecca Lewis
Disability Support Service