Dear all

I wonder if anyone can advise on the following:

A nursing student missed 4 weeks of clinical placement due to illness.

The illness is ongoing and may be defined as a disability for the
purposes of the Act.

Because she missed so much of the placement she was unable to make up
the time and progress to the next module.

She has been advised to re-apply for the programme, to come in on the
next cohort of applicants, i.e. not, therefore, a deferred place.

My feeling is that the University should have made it more possible to
allow her to make up the time. Notwithstanding that issue, has anyone
come across a situation where a student has had to go through the
application process again rather than being deferred because of absence
due to illness? This may constitute discrimination for the purposes of
the DDA on a number of levels and I just wondered if other Universities
had come across a similar situation.....

Many thanks for any feedback.

Regards

Caroline Rusack

Disability Adviser