Many thanks Ginny. That's really useful. Best wishes. Wendy

Wendy Knowles
Disability Service Co-ordinator

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ginny Stacey
Sent: 30 November 2006 12:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Support Groups

Dear Wendy,

I've run them for a long time for dyslexic students.

They work very well.  Students get a lot from realising they are not
alone and they develop different ways of studying from each other.  I've

always found they need to have a structure and be directly useful on the

study front; without that the students tend to be too pressurised to be
able to come.  The group sessions can be sufficient for some students,
but many need the opportunity to work one-one as well.  I created a
module that was part of the degree modules system while at Oxford
Brookes.

I would expect something quite similar to work for other disabilities
where the problems encountered by the group have a lot of overlap.  In
setting up the dyslexia ones originally, we had a lot of discussion with

the students at the time to see what they thought would help.  The same
would work with other disabilities.

Hope that helps
Ginny

--
Dr Ginny Stacey
Senior Dyslexia Study Tutor and Researcher

Department of Physiology, Anatomy & Genetics
Sherrington Building
Parks Road
Oxford OX1 3PT