The tail-end of an interesting conversation about emulation, stimulated by the previous email about the National Archives of the Netherlands project.

Henry,

I agree that the term "emulation" is confusing as stated.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as a universal emulator.

Each machine, including each device that might be attached to each machine, would require its own emulator.

You'd need separate emulators for an IBM 704 and an IBM 709, but you might be able to use a single emulator for both a

709 and a 7090.  You'd also need separate emulators for each type of I/O device that might be attached to each machine.

Furthermore, some devices, such as tape drives and card readers, could be attached to multiple machines, such a 7090 or a 1401.

It should be possible to run the same device emulators with multiple CPU emulators -- but that would require some conventions for how they are interconnected.

And then you'd need some kind of hardware support for old media, such as punched cards and magnetic tape.  And there would have to be very different converters for the many different kinds of card and tape formats.

The entire idea of emulation has to be explained in great detail and some kind of hardware is necessary to deal with the various kinds of media.

John

Najla Semple
Executive Secretary
Digital Preservation Coalition