The recent Article 29 WP opinion on e-mail filtering may be of interest
http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/privacy/docs/wpdocs/2006/wp118_en.p
df

The opinion isn't completely clear which provisions apply only to public
networks and which to all networks, but it does give some indications of
ways to implement a filtering service and ways not to.

Andrew