I think this may be one of the small but significant differences between
FOIA and FOISA.  I'm not aware of any similar advice on the IOC's
website.

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Fildes
Sent: 30 May 2006 14:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Anonymity when making FOI requests of
your own organisation

The advice from the Scottish Information Commissioner, as the regulator
of FoISA, is quite clear on the issue of the requester's address for a
reply:

"Do I have to provide my real name and my full address when I ask for
information?

The Act says that a request must include the name of the applicant and
an address for correspondence. The Commissioner has confirmed that an
e-mail address is sufficient when you are asking for information.
However, if you send your request by email, you must give your name in
the body of the email to fulfil the requirement that the name of the
applicant is given. Even if your name appears in your email address
(e.g. [log in to unmask]) you must add your name to the text of your
request, so that it is clear who the email is from.

You must give your real name, as the public authority does not have to
answer your request if you have used a false name or pseudonym. The
Commissioner will not be able to carry out an investigation if he finds
out that you have used a false name.

If you have particular reasons for not wanting to reveal your identity
to the public authority, you should ask a friend or family member to
make the request for information."

Note the advice that the Commissioner will not investigate if the
requester has given a false name.

David

David Fildes
Head of Data Protection & Freedom of Information Office, University of
Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ
tel: 0141 330 5146