I think you need to deal with this as an FOI request, and only withhold
information if an exemption applies.

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Duncan James
Sent: 09 March 2006 12:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] FW: Data protection investigation

Has anyone else been approached by this student? Is it genuine?

Personally, I'm not about to share our security procedures with anyone,
even if it is a genuine request. So those sections won't be very helpful
to him.

Thanks

Duncan James

Dear Mr James

I am a student in the University of Central Lancashire, and I am doing
masters degree in database system. One of the modules in the course
called:
Masters Paper where every student must write an academic paper in a
selected topic.

My topic was about data protection and archiving, and I have already
finished the research part. Therefore, to complete the paper I was
advised to do investigation about data protection in the Universities in
the UK.

The purpose of the investigation is to gather information about data
security process in the universities. The investigation focuses on how
the personal data is stored and to what extent the data is protected.

The questionnaires in the attached document are directed to universities
officers. The questions do not examine whilst the universities applies
the rules or not. The main aim of the investigation is to show the
different procedures applied in different universities.

Ill be very grateful if you can spare some time and answer the attached
questionnaires and resend the document after filling it out.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by the
NorMAN  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner Service and is

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information Systems and
Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please
take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this
e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic
mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a
request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for
any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

            All user commands can be found at : -

Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list
owner

This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it.The British Council accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software viruses and you are advised to carry out a virus check on any attachments contained in this message. Our purpose is to build mutually beneficial relationships between people in the UK and other countries and to increase appreciation of the UK's creative ideas and achievements. The British Council is registered in England as a charity.