>----- Original Message ----- From: "Nigel Roberts"
>
>> Legislation is normally construed by giving words their normal plain
>>meaning.

and...

In message <012c01c64102$aa1a7b00$37fd9e51@Nick>, at 09:45:12 on Mon, 6
Mar 2006, Nick Landau <[log in to unmask]> writes

>On uk.legal.moderated there has been a discussion about the questions
>asked by US immigration for entry to the US - this refers to arrest
>rather than conviction or a police record.

I'm not saying it's the case, but perhaps the American immigration
people are really asking if you have been served an arrest warrant
(which requires the involvement of a court), rather than merely being
compelled (rather than invited) to "accompany the officer to the
station".

>Of course, someone can be arrested and later released without charge.

This seems to happen much more these days, or is it just better
reporting? For example, most of the people arrested for the £50M cash
heist seem to have been either freed, or released on bail, which tends
to suggest that while they were doing *something* suspicious they
weren't actually involved in the crime being investigated. And despite
the short term hoo-ha, (and the amazing precautions taken on their trip
to Leeds) and extended questioning, all these people were eventually
freed: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4453726.stm

--
Roland Perry

            All user commands can be found at : -

Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner