-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Ferguson
Sent: 12 January 2006 14:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Employee sickness records

I have received the following query

"I've requested a reference for a prospective employee. The employer is
the HM Revenue and Customs.  In the reply they confirmed employment
dates and status but in response to our request for information
regarding sickness absences, it was stated "the Data Protection Act of
1998 prevents me from releasing details of the officer's attendance
record without their written permission".

Has anyone else had this problem? Surely it is perfectly acceptable
under DPA for us to request the sickness records from their previous
employer?

We could of course seek the permission from the prospective employee but
are there any other ideas?

Regards

Susan Ferguson
Records Management Team Leader
South Tyneside Council, Westoe Road
South Shields, Tyne and Wear
NE33 2RL

Tel 0191-424 6539
Fax 0191-424 7002
http://www.southtyneside.info

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list
owner

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.

On entering the GSi, this email was scanned for viruses by the
Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied
exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

Please see
http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/notices/information/gsi-003-2002.pdf for
further details.

In case of problems, please call your organisational IT helpdesk

* This email is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. *
* Any unauthorised use or disclosure of its content is prohibited. *
* The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily    *
* be the views held by Scottish Borders Council.                   *
* Please be aware that any email sent or received by the Council   *
* may require to be disclosed by the Council under the provisions  *
* of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.               *