In the legal newsgroup that I subscribe to an amateur photographer (I think
that is what he was) says that he was photoing in a high street presumably
"chuggers" who were asking people to subscribe to a named charity.

Someone came up to him from the charity and asked him not to.

This seems rather bizarre because presumably they were participating
publicly in a lawful activity. It is difficult to know whether to take
people's own account of their actions seriously because, of course, if
someone is signing up for Greenpeace or whatever in the street that might be
considered a private activity - and the canvassers (chuggers) might think
that someone photoing them with potential punters might put the punters off.

But if that was their concern you would have thought they would choose a
more private place for their activities - or send them mailings or other
more traditional means of seeking support.

Very strange!

Nick Landau

PS Of course, these days anyone can send a digital photo immediately to a
newspaper or TV. 25 years ago I took a photo of a car being hauled out of a
neighbour's garden and I had it printed in the local paper. I had to take
the film to the paper, they developed the film and then decided whether the
photo was of interest.

On another occasion I took a picture to the Mirror in Holborn and they
followed the same process. On that occasion they didn't use it.

It required a lot of effort to do this and only a serious amateur would have
been bothered.