From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: 29 November 2006 08:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Pump and Dump - the SEC's preferred "solution"

Marginally off topic, but spam and spam protection and spam handling are seen by a lot of us as germane to privacy.

Most of you are behind big, organisation wide,  spam filtering oojits that get rid of 99% of this utter garbage.  Some of your filters will be so darned good that you haven't even seen one.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you can find a couple of examples here: http://www.complianceandprivacy.com/News-Pump-and-Dump-scam.asp

One thing I've discovered as that the US SEC has an email address where they really actively want all pump and dump spam sent!  if you head for http://www.sec.gov/complaint.shtml it says:

    "Spams - Forward investment-related spam e-mails to [log in to unmask]."

Over the past few days I've been creating rules within my email client to forward every last pump and dump spam to that address (and also one to delete their replies!).  It makes sense to report them to the US because I have not yet seen one spam that is anything other than US stock.

I get about 100 of these things a day because our ISP was asked to remove filtering from our account - they filtered out client emails - so we chose spam and inconvenience instead of losing business.   Now they go to the SEC, out of my mailbox, and I feel I am doing a "civic duty".

I do realise that all the spams come from a "botnet" of hacked computers and there is little point in reporting them as spam, so I've just chosen the SEC.  I could equally well also report them via (eg) SpamCop as spam, but that would involve me in 100+ SpamCop confirmations per day, and I'm just not up for that.  I also know that the "to addresses" are mostly guessed addresses, not harvested from anywhere at all.  The days of spam harvesting are not over, but it is no longer a protection to avoid publicising your email address (though still very sensible if you can avoid doing it)

Tim Trent
- Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]

Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell, United Kingdom, RG12 1BP
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

Important: This mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this email. if you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email. If you are not the named recipient please notify us immediately.  This email and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This email and any attachments to it are copyright of Marketing Improvement Limited unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in writing, of Marketing Improvement Limited.

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]