I have received a request from a police force that is trying to track down
an unnamed Chinese student (Student X) who may or may not be connected with
another Chinese student who they do know about (Student Y).  Apparently
they have some intelligence that something has happened to Student Y so
want to check that Student X is also OK.  All they know about Student X is
that she graduated on the same day as Student Y (who we can confirm
graduated) so we have been asked for a list of all the Chinese students who
graduated on a particular day this summer.

Whilst I can provide these names as they are included in the graduation
brochure for the day which is available in the University library and so
the information is technically publicly available, I still feel
uncomfortable handing over the names of what could be dozens of students on
what appears to me to be a fishing trip.  What will the police do with the
names alone?

I am inclined not to hand over all the names but am I being obstructive if
they are available elsewhere?  Is it me?

Samantha Hill
University of Portsmouth

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner