-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nigel Roberts
Sent: 30 October 2006 18:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Verification of requestor identity - subject access

Indeed. But 'sensitive data' has always had a different Data Protection
treatment to ordinary data. (And probation and mental health
applications are clearly 'sensitive data').

For sensitive data, more checks /of course/ are required.

But in either case (and if you are a public authority there is a legal
obligation - HRA 1998) such checks MUST be 'proportionate'.

I am certainly not going to provide something with sensitive data on it
(like a bank statement), in order to access data which is routine and
NOT sensitive, clearly fails the 'sledgehammer' test for
proportionality.

Nigel

Simon Howarth wrote:
> I agree with those that say that some form of verification is
> reasonable, although depending on the type of information required,
> may lead to a request for less "critical" proof.
>
> I dealt with requests for medical records for a NHS Trust for a while,

> and being a mental health trust I don't think we could have been doing

> our job properly if we simply relied on a letter and nothing more.
>
> Part of our process was to send back a form that had to be filled in
> and which request certain information to allow us to proceed knowing
> that any risk of someone impersonating the subject was limited and
acceptable.

> I would be very worried if I asked for my own sensitive information by

> letter, and was simply granted it - in fact I would be minded to
> complain to the ICO!
>
> Simon Howarth.

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.
On entering the GSI, this email was scanned for viruses by the
Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied
exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
In case of problems, please call your organisational IT Helpdesk.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to
achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number
2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information
security products and services.  For more information about this please
visit www.cctmark.gov.uk

* This email is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. *
* Any unauthorised use or disclosure of its content is prohibited. *
* The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily    *
* be the views held by Scottish Borders Council.                   *
* Please be aware that any email sent or received by the Council   *
* may require to be disclosed by the Council under the provisions  *
* of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.               *