-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lee Gardiner
Sent: 20 October 2006 08:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Hotel keeping card details...

The slight flaw being as I understand it that most merchants will now no
longer process 'cardholder not present' transactions without the security
code as an anti fraud measure! Some merchants may not do this but my wife
runs a local box office as part of her day to day role and their merchant
asks for the security code in order to process the payment.

Assuming the hotel's merchant does the same then the hotel would be unable
to process any payment once the individual has done a runner. That said it
is entirely possible there may be some mechanism to get around this in
circumstances where a customer has left without paying but it would depend
on the specific merchant/hotel agreement.

Contravening the terms of any agreement between the merchant and the hotel
does not automatically render the processing unlawful.

I'm not saying that this isn't a problem (which it is) and that I condone
the hotel's practices but to arbitrarily say that there has been a breach of
the DPA doesn't consider the broader circumstances of the situation.

As I said in my previous email, before Roland's judicious editing which
clearly ignored the best practice issues, it would be better practice for
the hotel to partially process a charge against the card for the cost of the
room which is then either fully processed when the guest checks out or does
a runner. Something done in several hotels I have stayed in.

I don't disagree with the security issues as my previous email clearly
states so I'm not sure why this has been highlighted.