Fair enough but the question needs to be asked why is the law not enforced
by the ICO?

Simple - it's unwieldy, the ICO has no control over the enforcement/legal
process and central government has seen fit to limit the resources available
to the regulator so they are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the process being clarified and the
introduction of fixed penalties etc but that doesn't override the
fundamental problems as I see it which are the lack of resources and the
lack of control available to the ICO.

Using the FSA example again if I complain to them and they deem my complaint
valid it costs the company £500 before the complaint is even heard. Granted
a small initial penalty but from personal experience in financial services
most companies will do anything to avoid the fee and the listing on the FSA
complaints register. I'm not saying something similar would work for DP but
going back to the 'reputation' issue it might focus some minds, particularly
in the private sector.

Its also worth noting that the DPA doesn't allow the ICO to pro-actively
audit data controllers and their activities/practices. The ICO can only
audit data controllers that invite it in unlike the FSA or HMRC who do not
need to be invited.

Its very easy to criticise the ICO, and I along with ex-colleagues regularly
do, but the fact remains that on the issue of enforcement it isn't as easy
as most people seem to believe.