"Reporting current events" refers to, for example,  reproducing the text of
a recent speech by, or a video of, Tony Blair speaking, or copying the video
of a great goal from the World Cup. At the time of the controversy over the
Danish cartoons depicting Mohamed, one might have reproduced them and
claimed this was fair dealing for reporting current events.   In other
words, it's the common sense use of the phrase "current events".
Reproducing a cartoon about data protection is hardly "current events",
especially as the content of the cartoon is generic and does not refer to
some specific recent news story.

You could do argue the case for criticism or review if the Private Eye
cartoon was being posted so that we could do a critical appraisal of the
cartoon's style and content, but that wasn't the idea, was it?  It was to
entertain us!  Review and criticism means just what is says on the tin.

In a nutshell, the terms used in the bit of the copyright act regarding fair
dealing need to be construed in common sense ways.....

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University