> Otherwise what do you have in mind?

The issue raised was in the sense of collating a number of opt-out lists
together, matching them against each other and any other verifiable data
source, say the publicly available voters register, to identify all those
persons whom think they may be at risk.

Of course also matching against lists of employees from known at risk
occupations would enable further refinement or focus.

Whilst a recommendation of best practice to match data could well be of
benefit in specific circumstances, in others that practice could be a very
serious risk.

Given the historicity of the recognised potentiality for compromise,
apparently merely hoping for the best, without any fully open and recognised
debate (with its own inherent problems) rather seems to be avoiding more
than addressing the issues. Unless organisations are providing support only
as necessary in order to achieve some privacy in the mechanisms employed.

Having different identities in specific spheres seems an obviously logical
method of addressing the issues by providing possibilities for opt outs with
less risk.  For some reason though officially there is apparently much
resistance to such ideas.

Muddy waters all around so somehow people are achieving what they perceive
as an acceptable degree of privacy for whatever purpose(s) they require it.

My specific interest stems from considerations of the underlying issues
surrounding that mixed situation.

Ian W