Clause 85 of the Copyright Act states that if  photographs are commissioned,
despite the fact that the photographer owns the copyright, the photographer
may not display the photos in public without your permission.  If you choose
to waive those rights, then of course you lose these rights.  I suspect
Simon did waive those rights.  In Nick's case, there is no question that the
photographer broke the law and Nick can sue the photographer.  Clause 103 of
the Act outlines on what basis one can sue ("breach of statutory duty").  In
essence Nick can demand

1.  that the offending materials be destroyed or delivered to him
2.  get an injunction preventing any repetition of the offence
3.  get his legal costs back
4. get for himself the prize won by the photographer

but he will need a lawyer to help!

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science