Hence as I thought the only way that you could be "security cleared" is if
one has worked for a Government Dept.

So when a recruitment agency asks if one is security cleared the only way
one is likely to be is if one has previously worked in employment in a Govt
Dept where that is required.

Clearly for a contract where this is required they won't look at someone
without SC as the amount of time involved and the cost wouldn't make it
worth while.

I was recently asked if I was CLAS qualified.

It would seem that CLAS is the CESG Listed Adviser Scheme - CESG is
Communications-Electronics Security Group ("In October 2003 CESG moved into
the new GCHQ/CESG accommodation, which co-locates both under one roof for
the first time in the history of both organisations").

You have to work in the private sector to apply for the scheme.

"CLAS is the CESG Listed Adviser Scheme - a partnership linking the unique
Information Assurance knowledge of CESG with the expertise and resources of
the private sector.

CESG recognises that there is an increasing demand for authoritative Infosec
Information Assurance advice and guidance. This demand has come as a result
of an increasing awareness of the threats and vulnerabilities that
information systems are likely to face in an ever-changing world. In
addition specific demand will come from:

departments seeking to bring their networks into line with the Government
Secure Intranet (GSI) requirements
departments addressing emerging security requirements associated with the
e-Government (Information Age Government) initiative
the need to safeguard the Critical National Infrastructure (CNI)
the Cabinet Office requirement for departments to implement the British
Standard for Information Security Management: BS7799
making 'government standard' Information Assurance advice more readily
available to the broader public sector (local government, the Health sector,
Police Forces etc).

The Scheme aims to satisfy this demand by creating a pool of high quality
consultants approved by CESG to provide Information Assurance advice to
government departments and other organisations who provide vital services
for the United Kingdom.

CLAS consultants are approved to provide Information Assurance advice on
systems processing protectively marked information up to, and including,
SECRET.

Potential customers of the CLAS Scheme should also note that if the
information is not protectively marked then they do not need to specify
membership of CLAS in their invitations to tender, and may be challenged if
equally competent non-scheme members are prevented from bidding."

http://www.cesg.gov.uk/site/clas/index.cfm

I must say that these appear to be competencies.

Nick Landau